Southeast Riders Forum
Login or Register
Southeast Riders Forum
Login or Register
Southeast Riders Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  LinksLinks  
SportbikeTrackGear
sportbike_banner

Getting Your Knee Down - 101

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FTP-RIDER
*Moderator*
*Moderator*
FTP-RIDER

Getting Your Knee Down - 101 Empty
PostSubject: Getting Your Knee Down - 101   Getting Your Knee Down - 101 EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 11:08 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-requisites.
1. Bike with good chassis (no leaking forks, crap brakes and pogo rear shocks please)
2. Good tyres
3. Knee sliders (technically not necessary - I've got my knee down in jeans - but it hurts unless you have precise control)
A long corner where you spend a decent period at max lean. This is why roundabouts are good. On a short 90 deg corner, you are down and up again, without enough time to adjust attitude when at max lean. Obviously the corner should have a good surface, and, as you're prolly gonna have to have several attempts, not too much traffic or hostile neighbours.

Preparation
You know how when you've been out on the bike on for a while, you start to feel 'in the groove'? This is how you should feel. Also, it means that your tyres will be good and warm

Execution
Approach the corner at normal speed, but brake earlier than normal - you want 100% concentration on peel-in, not on braking. While still upright, slide your bum over the seat, and stick knee out. You will need at least all of one buttock off the seat. Feet should be positioned with balls of feet on pegs. Knee should be stuck out as perpendicular to the bike as possible.

Now peel into the corner until you are leant right over. You will probably not hear the 'skreeesh' of slider straightaway. So, lean the bike over more. This may feel dangerous, but trust me, modern bikes are built to do this. Make sure you give it more gas as you lean, otherwise the bike will start to head for the inside curb. Also, being on the gas means you are very unlikely to lose the front. You probably feel like you are hanging off like a monkey, and leant over beyond comprehension. You are not. Like all new activities, it feels odd at first.

Didn't work? Ok, have another go, this time hanging off more. You can attempt to get more 'hang-off' while going round, but wiggling around on the bike while leant over can unsettle it, so prolly best left until you are more confident. If you just cannot manage it, there are several acceptable reasons : - you're body's the wrong shape (The Simon Batey excuse) - you haven't been riding long enough (The Rob Dymond excuse) - you feel silly/out of control ...this last is valid - on the road, you will definitely be going slower than if you just attacked the corner normally. On the track, most moderately quick riders get their knee down without trying.

Oh, and if anyone crashes trying this, then it is definitely *not* my fault :-) Have fun.
Back to top Go down
sp33d_demon
Visit every now and then...
sp33d_demon

PostSubject: Re: Getting Your Knee Down - 101   Getting Your Knee Down - 101 EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 5:16 pm

yeah just hang all the way off the bike like thiago does and you can dooo it man...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sk0rpius
thiagoleal
thiagoleal

PostSubject: Re: Getting Your Knee Down - 101   Getting Your Knee Down - 101 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 12:00 am

lol yeah im slowww =/ i just wanted to get the knee down so i can look cool =// dammitt man u noticed that haha... you damn squid haha
Back to top Go down
sp33d_demon
sp33d_demon

PostSubject: Re: Getting Your Knee Down - 101   Getting Your Knee Down - 101 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 11:39 pm

i think im gonna put my leathers on and get a running start and slide on my knees in the middle of the road so I can look cool like Thiago too....lol
Back to top Go down
thiagoleal
thiagoleal

PostSubject: Re: Getting Your Knee Down - 101   Getting Your Knee Down - 101 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 11:48 pm

hahahahaaahaha thats funny!!

good one bro!
Back to top Go down
sp33d_demon
sp33d_demon

PostSubject: Re: Getting Your Knee Down - 101   Getting Your Knee Down - 101 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 11:57 pm

yeah well ya know i had to get ya back for not riding damn it...lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting Your Knee Down - 101   Getting Your Knee Down - 101 Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Southeast Riders Forum :: Technique, Racing and Stunt Discussion :: Technique & Riding-
Jump to: